How many states are there in Mexico? Ever wonder?
Just like you shouldn’t fall into the trap of thinking anyone who is a native Spanish-speaker is from Mexico, you shouldn’t fall into the trap of thinking Mexico is one big state. Mexico is about one-fifth the size of the US or put another way, roughly 3x the size of Texas. It is the 11th most populous country in the world.
To answer the question – there are 31 states in Mexico + one distrito federal.
Here is a list of all the United States of Mexico along with some interesting info:
- Aguascalientes :: Literally means “hot waters”
- Baja California :: Below California… which is very apt
- Baja California Sur
- Chihuahua :: yes – like the doggie.
- Coahuila de Zaragoza
- Distrito Federal :: a pair of Spanish Twins
- Guerrero :: Literally means Warrior; no wonder there is violence.
- Jalisco :: Home of Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta
- Michoacan de Ocampo
- Nuevo Leon :: New Lion
- Queretaro de Arteaga
- Quintana Roo :: Home of Cancún
- San Luis Potosi
- Tabasco :: Just like the sauce
- Veracruz-Llave :: Literally “See Cross-Key”
If you want to build a relationship with some native Mexicans, ask them:
¿De dónde eres?
(day DOHN-day AY-rays)
Where you from?
Want to be interesting? Be interested.
Bradley Hartmann is founder and el presidente at Red Angle (www.redanglespanish.com), a Spanish language training firm focused on the construction industry. He’s a big fan of of Mexico. His new book, Spanish Twins, is available for purchase at http://www.blurb.com.
Categories: Jobsite Leadership